Mr Justice Michael Humphreys graduated with the degrees of BA and BCL from Oxford University in 1993 and was called to the Bar in 1994. He took Silk in 2011.
Mr Justice Humphreys worked as a self-employed Barrister and mainly practiced in the field of commercial law. He also practiced in Chancery and public law, usually in the commercial context. His particular specialisms were construction litigation, public procurement, professional negligence, defamation and contractual claims.
He was appointed as a Temporary Judge of the High Court of Northern Ireland in January 2020 and was sworn in as a High Court Judge on 15 February 2021.
Other roles Mr Justice Humphreys has held include:
- Chair of the Commercial Bar Association
- Member of the Commercial Court Liaison Committee
- Member of the Government Civil Senior Panel
- Assessor Miscarriage of Justice Compensation Cases
- Chair of the Board of Governors for Methodist College Belfast
- Independent Director of Northern Cricket Union
He was appointed to the Boundary Commission for Northern Ireland by the Lord Chief Justice in March 2021.