Our Provisional Proposals Consultation has now closed. We will publish the responses received, together with transcripts of the public hearings, for a consulation period of four weeks in early 2017.
The 2018 Review of Parliamentary constituencies started on 24 February 2016. In accordance with schedule 2 of the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Act 2011, the number of Parliamentary constituencies across the UK will reduce to 600. In Northern Ireland, the decrease will be from 18 seats to 17 at the next Westminster elections, expected in 2020. This will mean redrawing the existing constituency boundaries.
The Commission is required to submit its report on final recommendations to the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland no later than 1 October 2018.
Provisional Proposals Consultation closed on 28th November 2016
The Boundary Commission published its Provisional Proposals on 6th September 2016 for an Initial Consultation period of 12 weeks. Information made available during the consultation can be found below. A number of public hearings were also undertaken during the consultation period.
- Provisional Proposals Report – The Report sets out the boundaries and names of the new proposed new constituencies.
- Constituency Map (interactive) – Allows the user to add a range of layers to an interactive map of Northern Ireland, including the proposed new constituencies, existing Parliamentary constituencies and District Council boundaries and wards.
- Constituency Map (JPG) – Downloadable JPG version of the proposed Parliamentary constituencies.
- Online Consultation – Comment on the Provisional Proposals or submit your own online (now closed).
- Public Display Points – A list of places you can visit to read the Provisional Proposals Report and view the accompanying map (District Council, local library, or at the offices of the Boundary Commission, Electoral Commission or at one of the local Electoral Offices).
- Public Hearings – The Commission hosted four public hearings throughout Northern Ireland during October 2016.
|Date||Location||All Public Hearings Held|
5 October 2016
11 October 2016
20 October 2016
25 October 2016
Tullyglass Hotel, Ballymena
Silverbirch Hotel, Omagh
Ramada Hotel, Shaws Bridge, Belfast
Seagoe Hotel, Portadown
10.00am – 1.00pm
2.00pm – 4.00pm
6.00pm – 8.00pm